CBCO Needs Blood Donations to Aid Joplin Tornado Victims (May 23, 2011)
Springfield Hospitals Treat Tornado Victims (May 23, 2011)
Joplin is Hit by Devastating Tornado (May 23, 2011)
• The Red Cross has asked the public to stop sending unsolicited donatations. To find out how to help, check the City of Joplin’s Facebook page for information: www.facebook.com/cityofjoplin.
• Ozarks Technical Community College will accept donations of new blankets, non-perishable food, water, boxes and other items at the parking lot on National and Chestnut thru Thursday (5/26) at 5:00 p.m. Phone: 417-447-2655
• The United Way is organizing doctors, nurses and others wanting to volunteer their medical skills. www.Showmeresponse.org
• The American Red Cross website has a “Safe and Well” registry where Joplin residents can go online and list themselves as safe. For those wanting to check on loved ones who may have registered on the site, go to www.redcross.org and click on the “Safe and Well” link.
• The Humane Society of Southwest Missouri is collecting donations of blankets, washable dog beds, toys, dog food and kitty litter to help alleviate the distress and suffering of pets affected by the tornado. Phone: 417-883-2526
• The City of Joplin has established a phone number for people interested in donating their time or items to aid in the recovery effort. Volunteers wanting to donate items can call 417-625-3542
• The Joplin Red Cross could use donations. For information on what is needed, 417-624-4411.
• Safety officials say natural gas and propane leaks can happen after severe weather strikes. If you’re in the Joplin area and smell natural gas or a “rotten eggs” smell, call the gas or propane provider immediately. Also, flammable objects like cigarettes or even cell phones should be kept clear of the area.
• The Attorney General’s office is warning Missourians to look out for scammers and price-gouging. Consumers who suspect price-gauging or scam artists following the tornado in Joplin can call 1-800-392-8222 with complaints.
• The Community Blood Center of the Ozarks has announced that blood supplies are more than adaquate for treatment of victims from Sunday’s tornado. Those wanting to give blood are encouraged to wait a week or two to donate.
• The Missouri Career Center’s Mobile Unit is in Joplin to provide residents who were displaced from their jobs with unemployment benefits and workforce services. Information at 417-887-4343
• The Missouri Hospital Association Center for Education has established the Hospital Employee Relief Operation—or “HERO”—fund for hospital employees who have experienced losses related to the Joplin tornado, St. Louis tornado and southeast Missouri flooding. Information at 573-893-3700, extension 1303 or mbecker [at] mail [dot] mhanet [dot] com.
• The Ozark Trails Council, Boy Scouts of America and Bass Pro Shops have joined forces to aide families affected by the deadly tornado in Joplin with a trailer at the Springfield Bass Pro where canned food donations can be dropped off. The drive will be held daily from 10 am to 8 pm thru Monday (5/30).
• The Missouri Boat Ride Bluegrass band will host a benefit concert for victims of the Joplin tornado Saturday night (5/28) from 7 to 10 in Kimberling City at the Hillbilly Bowl parking lot. Along with the Missouri Boat Ride, the event will feature performances by Lonesome Road, The Pickin’ Chicks, and the Jed and Harry Clark Band. Donations will go to Convoy of Hope. Information at 294-5886.
• The City of Joplin Wellness of Citizens asks those looking to reunite with loved ones or to let them know they’re okay to call 417-659-5464.
• Freeman Hospital in Joplin is currently taking patients with active cardiac problems. Information at 888-664-3278.
• Southwest Baptist University will collect non-perishable food items, water, blankets, clothes and toiletries in conjunction with Convoy of Hope for the tornado victims in Joplin. Items must be dropped off by noon Friday (5/27) at the Master of Business Administration lobby in the Taylor Building on the Bolivar campus. Information at 417-328-2000 or tfrancka [at] sbuniv [dot] eud.