To celebrate the Chinese New Year and enhance the awareness of the Asian culture on campus, Missouri State University's Modern & Classical Language Department, the China Program Office, College of Humanities and Public Affairs and Association of Chinese Students and Scholars will deliver a series of Chinese cultural activities at Siceluff Library124 (Lion Dance and Shaolin Gongfu demonstration will be held at PSU Theatre).
These activities will start on Chinese New Year Day, February 11 (Monday) and end on February 15 (Friday), 2013.
The events will include Chinese arts and handicrafts exhibitions, talks on Chinese New Year, Beijing Opera, Martial Arts films, Tea Ceremony, Chinese Dumpling Workshop, Lion Dance, Demonstrations of Martial Arts, Calligraphy, Chinese Paintings and Chinese music performance. All these events involve MSU faculty, staff and students. Symbolic snacks, Chinese tea and dumplings will also be provided during the events. All the events are open to MSU faculty, staff, students and Springfield community. Please come to join us to celebrate this wonderful Chinese Snake Year.
February 11, Monday
-10:00 – 11 am: Introduction of Chinese New Year by Dr. Weirong Schaefer & Professor Jimo Zhang, Modern & Classical Language Department
-12:00 – 12:45 pm: Lion Dance by FuHok Studio at the Plaster Stunden Union Theatre
-1:00 – 2:00 pm: Shaolin Gongfu Demonstration by FuHok Studio at PSU Theatre
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm: Chinese Paper Cutting Introduction & Demonstrationby Hing Wah Hatch, and Chinese Calligraphy Demonstration by Yang Li
February 12, Tuesday
- 1:30 -2:30 pm: Beijing Opera Talk by Dr. Yili Shi, English Department
- 2:30- 3:00 pm: Beijing Opera Mask Painting Demonstration by Hing Wah Hatch
February 13, Wednesday
- 11:00 am– 11:45am: Chinese Martial Arts Demonstration by Zhongkun, Zhou
- 12:00 -2:00 pm: Martial Arts Film Introduction and Martial Arts Film Screening by Dr. M. A. Butler, History Department
February 14, Thursday
-11:30 am- 12:30 pm: Chinese Tea Ceremony by Xi’ou Gong, Chinese Specialist, COB
- 12:30 pm -1:30 pm: Chinese Authentic Dumpling Workshop by Dr Huiming Li, Visiting scholar, Remin University of China
February 15, Friday
- 11:50 -12:50 pm: Chinese Music Performance by Dr. John Prescott, Music Department
- 1:30 pm – 2: 30 pm: Twelve Year Animals Painting Demonstration by Hing Wah Hatch
Information at 836-5798.