Jay Nixon

Gov. Jay Nixon
Gov. Jay Nixon's office / Twitter

College affordability was the topic of discussion during stops in southwest Missouri today by Gov. Jay Nixon.

Nixon met with faculty and students at Crowder College in Neosho this morning before traveling to the high school in Aurora.

The governor cited a recent report by The College Board that found Missouri leading all 50 states in holding down tuition increases at public universities over the last seven years.

The Soaring Heights Elementary gymnasium also serves as a safe room. It's one of seven functional safe rooms within Joplin Schools.
Scott Harvey / KSMU

Gov. Jay Nixon has authorized Missouri’s emergency management agency to move forward with proposals for millions in grant funds toward local severe weather initiatives.

A large portion of the $5.2 million in Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) hazard mitigation dollars would aid southwest Missouri school districts. The FEMA program provides 75 percent of the funding for approved projects, with local grant recipients paying the remaining 25 percent.

Michele Skalicky / KSMU

Landowners in five southwest Missouri counties will be able to apply for money to implement conservation practices on their property.

Governor Jay Nixon announced today that $750,000 will be made available for the projects to improve stream corridors and habitat in those counties as well as five counties in southeast Missouri.

Quinn Dombrowski / Flickr

Governor Jay Nixon has announced $5 million for early childhood education in Joplin.  During a visit to the city today, Nixon said the Community Development Block Grant will come through Missouri Start Smart, a program of the Missouri Department of Economic Development.

A new 32,000 to 40,000 square foot early childhood education center is planned for Joplin and will more than double the school district’s available preschool slots, according to Nixon.

FEMA
KSMU Archives

A major disaster declaration granted to assist residents in dozens of Missouri counties last month has been expanded to include local governments and nonprofit agencies.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency on Wednesday approved Gov. Jay Nixon’s request for the expansion, which will help said agencies in 37 counties impacted by flooding late last year.

Pages